High School Curriculum
Courses Specifically Designed for High School Students
OHVA uses the K12 high school curriculum to serve our students in grades 9–12. The K12 online high school environment blends the best features of the company's world-renowned K–8 learning environment—the elegant and research-driven design, the compelling interactivity, the ease of use of both online and offline content—with key features designed to make the high school experience successful, given the far more complex high school world of content, skills, and time management.
A Robust Catalog of Courses for Diverse Learners
The K12 High School Course Catalog is robust, offering more than 90 core, elective, and Advanced Placement® (AP®) courses. K12 Math, English Science, and History courses are offered in multiple versions to meet the needs of diverse learners with diverse goals. Up to four levels of World Languages are offered as well. Students can chart their own course, choosing from among the four levels of courses to match their aptitude and goals.
Four Versions of Core Subjects
With the K12 high school curriculum, students can harness the power of individualized learning by choosing from the following four versions of Math, English, Science, and History courses:
- K12 Core courses are similar to the standard courses offered by many other programs. They meet all academic requirements for each course area both for graduation as well as for potential admission into a wide range of colleges.
- K12 Comprehensive courses are designed for students entering with a strong foundational knowledge and aptitude in the subject area being covered, as well as solid study skills.
- K12 Honors courses hold students to a greater degree of accountability, and demand even greater independence and self-discipline than their Comprehensive counterparts.
- K12 Advanced Placement (AP) courses are college-level courses that follow curriculum specified by the College Board. Like K12 Honors courses, AP courses require a greater degree of self-discipline for in-depth study of the subject.
For the full list of K12 courses or to download our catalog, online high school course list.
Earn College Credit While in High School: College Credit Plus
Does your high school student want a head start on a college education? At Ohio Virtual Academy, eligible students in grades 9-12 may take courses tuition-free in a local Community College/University through Ohio's College Credit Plus program. Participating students earn college credit for both their school diploma and a post-secondary degree.
To be eligible for the program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Current student in grades 7–12
- Completed one semester with OHVA*
- Meets the college or university requirements
*Unless CCP documentation from previous school sign up is supplied
Visit OHVA's College Credit Plus information to learn more.
Proven Pathways to a Chosen Career
At Ohio Virtual Academy, your college or career-minded student can choose from a broad range of profession-focused courses for a competitive edge for the future, to discover his or her path after high school, or to explore a possible college major. These courses can provide a powerful introduction to fulfilling careers in Information Technology, Government and Public Administration, Marketing, Finance, Arts and Communication, and many more.